Sunday, February 14, 2010

Starting With Seedlings

We will get to the Where in a few weeks. But for now, let's tackle the What.

Well, maybe a bit of Why first. While we lived in Southern California, my Mom had a vegetable garden. There is a picture floating around out there of my brother in a pack n' play while my Mom tends to the plants. I can remember that garden and that time. I loved both.

Now, I am going to attempt my own garden...in my own yard. Annnd, some landscaping. In a few weeks, when I show you the yard, you will understand the gravity of the project ahead of me. Especially considering that plant disaster up there in the header. I am usually pretty good at keeping plants alive indoors, but this aloe plant hasn't accepted my generosity. The other four plants in the front window are still alive, so I'll take those odds.

By the number of seed packets I've got stacked up, I'm feeling a little overly-ambitious, but again...the odds.

I started off with peas, roma tomatoes (for homemade sauce), basil, cherry tomatoes, dill, zucchini, string beans and squash. Those wildflower seeds will be spread around the meadow under The Oak Tree.

I've got one of three trays loaded with seeds. Ready to sit on my kitchen table and germinate to their hearts content.


I realized that I forgot to get bell pepper seeds, which in turn resulted in a trip to Lowe's. One hour later and I ended up leaving with a bit more than was on the list.


(Foxgloves and poppies for the front of the workshop, lettuce, GIANT pumpkin, watermelon, rosemary, bell peppers, elephant ear bulbs and lily bulbs)

Up Next: Grey Poupon Window Basil!

1 comment:

  1. I'll pray for good weather and protection from all the critters-so you can enjoy the fruits of you labors!

    ReplyDelete