Monday, February 15, 2010

Grey Poupon Window Basil


How do you get from condiments to counter-top herbs? Quite simply.

I made a beef tenderloin for Valentine's dinner yesterday and used a jar of grey poupon in the recipe. I washed the jar out and a wave of re-use rushed through the room. I love the shape and initially thought terrarium, but it is just too small. All of those seed packets were calling to me and basil is the first one that jumped up. Out of all of the herbs I want to grow (basil, dill, oregano and rosemary), basil is the one I will use the most. So, it gets to live in the house!

I washed the jar with warm water and soap, rising well to make sure I don't choke the plant with palmolive. I then went for a walk around the yard. I needed a few rocks for the bottom of the jar to keep the roots from staying wet, and it only took a handful. Two inches from the opening of the jar, I sprinkled some seeds, poured a scoop of soil over them and packed it down to make the seeds nice and snug.


I get great sunlight in my kitchen sink window so soon I will be picking some Grey Poupon Window Basil!

Up Next: A Bucket of Kitchen Scraps

No comments:

Post a Comment